Advertisement
Icon WebMD Expert Blogs

This blog has been retired.

Important:

The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, review, ratings, or blogs are solely those of the User, who may or may not have... Expand

The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, or blogs are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

Hide

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Preventing Poisonings

By Roy Benaroch, MD

Household Poisons

National Poison Prevention Week is here, highlighting ways for families to prevent poisonings in and out of their homes. Poisonings remain one of the most common causes of death and ER visits among children, though most of them are preventable with a few simple steps.

The most dangerous potential ingestions in your home are medications, insecticides, antifreeze and other automotive chemicals, cleaning products, nail-care products, and alcohol. These kinds of things need to be locked up and physically out of reach of children. You can’t depend on child-proof caps and packaging alone—kids can be clever and persistent and will get through child packaging (sometimes quicker than you!)

Even medicines that you might think would be safe—vitamins or simple painkillers—can be very toxic or deadly in overdoses. Never refer to medicine as candy or allow children to help themselves to medicines or play with the bottles. Remember that visitors to your home, like Grandma, may keep medicines in their purses. For young children even one pill can be very hazardous. Keep medicines in their original containers and safely discard old medicines or leftovers (the best way to get rid of old medicines is to bring them to a pharmacy or doctor so they can be incinerated.)

Be careful giving medication to your children. Measure carefully, using the device included in the package, in a well-lit room—and write down when the last dose was given. An overdose can occur not only when you give too much medicine, but when you give the next dose too soon. After giving a dose of medication, make sure to put the package away securely.

Pesticides and other chemicals should always be kept in the original containers. Children can be especially tempted by things kept in re-used soda bottles or cups, and a single mouthful of these chemicals can kill.

If your child does swallow something potentially dangerous, your first call should be to 1-800-222-1222, which will connect you to the nearest poison control center. (Outside the USA, ask your doctor about the best poison resources.) You’ll need to describe what was ingested and how much. Don’t try to induce vomiting or give anything else to eat or drink unless instructed to do so by the poison center. Don’t give ipecac—it may do more harm than good. The poison center will tell you if you have to go to the hospital. Follow their instructions! Call them before you call your own doctor, who may not be able to access information about the specific poisoning as quickly as a poison center.

Have you ever faced a poisoning crisis? What did you do? What do you do now to keep your kids safe? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Photo: Purestock

Posted by: Roy Benaroch, MD, FAAP at 12:39 pm

Comments

Leave a comment

Subscribe & Stay Informed

Parenting and Children's Health

Get the Parenting & Children's Health newsletter and get useful parenting tips and health news you need to keep your little ones happy & healthy.

Archives

WebMD Health News