By Jenny Favret, RD
It’s too bad when people get the idea that “healthy” food is somehow tasteless, like steamed, unseasoned veggies with a dried-out grilled chicken breast. How boring is that?!
Healthy food can and SHOULD be delicious. Don’t be afraid to sauté those veggies in a little olive oil, garlic and a pinch of sea salt. Add in some diced leftover chicken for a delicious stir fry.
Still not convinced? Try to keep an open mind when it comes to tying new foods. Some people have to taste a new food twenty times or more before learning to accept and eventually ENJOY it. In the meantime start small:
- Maybe try adding some baby spinach leaves to your pizza.
- How do oven-baked sweet potato fries with dinner sound?
- What about a dessert of frozen grapes tonight?
- Consider a side of crunchy carrots and cucumbers with your sandwich tomorrow.
- What about a yummy protein-packed breakfast parfait tomorrow morning, made with layers of sliced fruit, nuts, and Greek yogurt in a tall glass?
Take the opportunity to try all different types of healthy foods each time you get the chance to do so. Be sure to recommend your favorite healthy meal and snack ideas to your friends. And always keep in mind though that eating healthy doesn’t mean giving up your favorite foods. Bon appétit!