You won’t miss the chocolate.
I know that for many people, the chocolate is what makes brownies yummy. But what if you — dare I say it — took out the chocolate?
These Best Blonde Brownies are a hit wherever I serve them, and they go over really big with people who for whatever reason (acid reflux, allergy, headaches, or personal preference ) avoid chocolate.
It takes about 10 minutes to whip up a batch. You can play with this recipe, and make different variations, too. One of my favorites is pictured here, made with dried cranberries, walnuts and white chocolate chips.
Best Blonde Brownies
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup no trans fat margarine with Omega-3s and 8 grams fat per tablespoon
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg, high omega-3 if available
1 tablespoon vanilla paste or extract
1/2 cup white (or any other type) chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup dried fruit or nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Coat a 9-inch nonstick round or square cake pan with canola cooking spray.
- Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a 4-cup measure and whisk together well; set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a small, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and continue to cook for about a minute. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add brown sugar mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until well blended. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture, a little at a time, just until blended. Stir in the white chocolate chips if desired and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies are done to your liking (don’t overbake if you like them on the chewy side). Let cool about 10 minutes, then cut into 12 squares.
Serve with a sensible portion of lowfat vanilla frozen yogurt if desired, and ENJOY!
Yield: 12 brownies
Nutrition per serving (without optional ingredients): 140 calories, 2 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fat, .9 g saturated fat, 1.4 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 174 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 24 percent. Omega-3 fatty acids = .3 grams, Omega-6 fatty acids = 1.1 grams.