Advertisement
Icon WebMD Expert Blogs

Tales from the Pet Clinic

with Ann Hohenhaus, DVM, DACVIM

This blog has been retired. We appreciate all of the insights that Dr. Hohenhaus shared with our readers.

Important:

The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, review, ratings, or blogs are solely those of the User, who may or may not have... Expand

The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, or blogs are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

Hide

Friday, October 26, 2012

Medication Safety for Pets

By Ann Hohenhaus, DVM

Agusto

Last winter, in recognition of National Poison Prevention week, I wrote about how an unusual treatment used at The Animal Medical Center saved the life of Sadie, a dog who had ingested a bottle of ibuprofen.

Not all pets that accidentally ingest medications are as lucky as Sadie. The handsome Cane Corso, Agusto, shown here, died from accidental ingestion of grandpa’s drugs.

To spare your family the heartbreak of an accidental pet death, here are my tips on keeping the family pets safe from medications.

1. Childproof does not mean pet proof

Despite the fact that you cannot pry a prescription bottle open with your own two hands, I guarantee between their teeth and nails, your pet will be able to open a bottle in only a few seconds. Don’t count on the safety lid to protect your pet; keep medications stored in a pet proof area.

2. Pet proof storage

Your dresser, the nightstand, and the bathroom counter are not pet proof areas. If you have a curious kitty, be sure medications are kept in a cabinet with a tight latch. Try the childproofing aisle in your local hardware store for ideas on how to prevent unauthorized cabinet entry by your pets.

3. Don’t shake, rattle or roll

Shaking a pill bottle to get your pet’s attention or giving your pet a treat after they come for the rattle of pills in the container will make your pet very interested in the pill bottles. Promote safe behavior and clicker train your pet instead of using a pill bottle.

4. Team approach to toxicity

If you have more than one pet, keep in mind they may take a team approach when getting into the medication stash. For example, the pill bottles on your dresser are quickly knocked down by your agile cat and can find their way into the jaws of your clever dog. Once the bottle is opened everyone can help themselves to the surprise inside.

5. Worry about purses and backpacks

Granny is likely to have a pocketbook full of little boxes and vials of medications. When she comes to visit, keep her handbag hidden from your cat or dog to prevent them from popping open one of her containers and testing the pills.

6. Travel disaster

We all love to take our pets everywhere we go, but your friends and family may not have their homes pet proofed. Scout out their counters, nightstands and dressers for dangerous bottles of medication. Confine your dog in their crate or stroller if the home is filled with dangerous medications. For the traveling cat, consider a kitten playpen.

7. Keep important phone numbers handy

Your veterinarian

The closest animal ER

Pet Poison Hotline

800-213-6680

ASPCA Animal Poison Control

888-426-4435

Posted by: Ann Hohenhaus, DVM at 1:00 am

Comments

Leave a comment

Subscribe & Stay Informed

WebMD Healthy Pets

Sign up for the WebMD Healthy Pets newsletter and get the latest on food, exercise and health news for Fluffy and Fido.

Archives

WebMD Health News